How Bad Is It To Have Cockroaches In My Austin Home?
December 30, 2021 - Cockroaches
There are three types of cockroaches in Austin you might have to deal with American, German, and Oriental cockroaches. A few quick facts about these species are:
- American cockroaches are the largest home-invading species in North America.
- German cockroaches are the most common species that infest homes and businesses.
- Oriental cockroaches are also known as water bugs as they can invade through drains.
Keep reading to learn more about cockroaches in Austin, TX and how you can get rid of them effectively.
Does Seeing One Cockroach In My Home Mean An Infestation?
Seeing one cockroach in your home does not always indicate an infestation, as one can easily wander in or hitchhike its way inside. You should look for these signs of a cockroach infestation to identify a problem in your home:
- Cockroach droppings, which resemble ground black pepper or coffee grounds
- A musty odor that will get worse as the infestation grows
- Finding egg capsules called oothecae that vary in appearance depending on the species
- Shed skins from molting
- Smear marks will appear on walls in areas where these pests are most active
- Damaged books, leather goods, food packaging, and other items
If you see these signs of a cockroach infestation, don’t wait to take care of them. As you will read below, cockroaches are dangerous to have in any home.
Can Roaches In My House Really Make Me Sick?
The short answer to this question is yes, cockroaches in your house can really make you sick for several reasons:
- Cockroaches live in some of the filthiest places like sewers, where they pick up pathogens that they can spread when they infest. These pathogens can cause diseases like cholera, listeriosis, E. coli, giardia, salmonella, leprosy, dysentery.
- Cockroach droppings, urine, shed skins, and saliva can contaminate personal hygiene products, surfaces, and food.
- Cockroaches can trigger asthma and allergies.
How Can I Prevent Roaches From Coming Into My Home?
While prevention is not always 100% effective, it is a necessary precaution to help keep any property free of dangerous pests like cockroaches. The following are preventative practices that can be implemented around any residential property:
- Routine yard maintenance such as mowing the lawn, trimming foliage, and removing leaves can help make your property less attractive to pests, including cockroaches.
- Regularly inspect the exterior of your home for cracks, damaged screens, and other entry points that should be repaired and sealed to keep pests out. You should also install covers over drains and vents.
- Reduce moisture by repairing leaks, replacing damaged wood, and using dehumidifiers in high humidity areas like the kitchen and bathroom.
- Remove access to food storage by using airtight containers, garbage cans with tight-fitting lids, and cleaning up crumbs and spills right away.
How Do I Get Rid Of Cockroaches In My House Fast?
Make sure to keep your kitchen clean; cockroaches are attracted to food, so the cleaner your kitchen is, the less likely they’ll visit. Secondly, store food in sealed containers. Cockroaches can smell food from miles away, so keeping your food sealed tight is essential. Finally, don’t leave any food or dirty dishes out; cockroaches are opportunists and eat just about anything.
If you have active cockroaches in your home, you should call us at Aries Pest Control. We offer a free home inspection to identify what types of cockroaches you are dealing with and identify the conditions attracting them. We will implement the best methods and products to treat your home’s specific problems using our inspection findings. While one-time treatments are helpful, we always recommend year-round pest control services to keep your home pest-free. You can schedule follow-up services monthly, bimonthly, or quarterly.
Redfin has reached out to pest control experts like us to share our best tips that will help you rid your home of these pests, once and for all. Check out our tip on How to Get Rid of Roaches in Your Apartment or House and Keep Them Gone for Good.
Give us a call at Aries Pest Control to learn more about the different types of cockroaches you might encounter and how we can help get rid of them and keep them away.