Pest Spotlight: Dealing With The Scorpions In Austin
August 18, 2022 - Scorpions
Austin is a great place to live and work except for one exception: scorpions. If there is one creature that strikes fear in the heart of people, it is the lowly scorpion.
Scorpions on your Austin property, you need the best pest control in Austin, Aries Pest Control. Our team is proficient in scorpion removal; we will set your mind at ease by taking care of the scorpions on your Austin property.
Are There Different Types Of Scorpions I Should Look Out For?
Of the over 1,200 scorpion species worldwide, approximately 90 make the United States home. Out of the species in the States, there are 18 species of scorpions in Texas. The following are the two species common in the Austin area:
- The Striped Bark Scorpion: This arachnid has a pale-yellow body with two dark stripes running lengthwise down the upper section of its outer shell (carapace).
- The Texas Cave Scorpion: The good news about this scorpion is generally in the caves around Austin; however, it can be in grottos and limestone markers.
Of the two types of scorpions in our area, the striped bark scorpion is the one most likely to be found in Austin homes.
How Can I Tell If There Are Scorpions Living On My Property
According to Texas A & M AgriLife Extension article on the striped bark scorpion, there are no lethal scorpions in Texas; however, all scorpions in Austin, Texas, can sting. To avoid being stung by a scorpion, it is best to know where scorpions may be living on your property.
You can tell if scorpions are living on your property if you have the following:
- An Abundance Of Insects: Scorpions are attracted to insects, spiders, mice, lizards, and other scorpions. A large number of insects on your Austin property will attract scorpions.
- Citrus Trees: The loose bark of citrus trees provides a good shelter for scorpions. Although they prefer insects, scorpions will also eat rotting fruit.
- New Home: If scorpions previously lived on the same land as your new home, they are likely to return to live on the property again.
- Shaded Areas: Heavily shaded areas are attractive to scorpions due to the shelter from the hot sun and the fallen vegetation under the trees and shrubs.
- Live Scorpions: If you see a scorpion on your property, there are likely many more you don't see.
If these things characterize your property, you need to take steps to get rid of scorpions at your Austin home.
Where Can Scorpions Hide?
Scorpions can hide in various locations on your Austin property. Scorpions can be under the following on your property:
- Paving Stones
- Landscaping Materials
Scorpions hide in attics, basements, and crawl spaces in the house. They settle in dark areas where they can find moisture, such as the basement or crawl space. Scorpions in Austin will also hide in the attic; they migrate to living areas when the attic becomes too hot. Due to the moisture from the drains, scorpions are often in bathrooms or the kitchen.
Keeping Scorpions Away From My Home For Good
No one wants to risk being stung by a scorpion while walking barefoot in the yard or while working in the basement. The following are tips for keeping scorpions away from your home:
- Remove logs, rocks, and stones from the property
- Repair window and door screens
- Install door sweeps and weather stripping
- Seal around pipes, under eaves, and all other cracks
- Prune shrubs and trees to allow for maximum sunlight
- Store firewood away from home as far as possible
- Remove clutter and debris from the property
- Seal outdoor garbage cans
These tips will help keep scorpions away from your home; however, the best and safest solution is to utilize the knowledgeable team at Aries Pest Control. Our team uses environmentally safe methods to remove scorpions from your Austin home. Contact us today; we will solve your scorpion problem.