Austin Homeowners' Complete Guide To Effective Rodent Control
Here, you can learn everything you need to know about the different types of rodents in our area and how to get rid of rodents if they get inside your Austin home.
The Types Of Rodents That Invade Austin Homes
Below are some of the types of rodents you may experience infiltrating your Austin home:
- Deer mice are brown with a white underbelly and feet. They grow between 3 and four inches long with a 4 to 5-inch multicolored tail.
- House mice have a round body between 2 ½ to 3 ¾ inches long and are covered in light gray fur. They are the most common home-invading rodents in North America.
- Norway rats are brown with black hairs scattered in, and they have long, heavy bodies that grow between 7 and 9 ½ inches long and a 6 to 8-inch tail.
- Roof rats have 6 to 8 inch long bodies with 6 to 8 inch long scaly tails. Their fur is a mix of brown and black. These rodents get their name because they are great climbers and usually get into a building above ground level.
The Damage And Dangers Rodent Infestations Can Create In Your Home
Common rodent problems that can happen in your home include damage to the property, both cosmetic and structural. Because rodents have teeth that never stop growing, they will chew on just about anything they can, including wires and pipes.
Rodents are not only destructive but also dangerous to people's health because they spread diseases and parasites and aggravate asthma and allergies. The diseases rodents spread include rat-bite fever, dysentery, salmonellosis, hantavirus, and many more.
Avoid these common rodent problems by utilizing effective preventative practices.
Natural Ways To Remove Factors That Attract Rodents To Your Home
Residential properties naturally attract rodents, especially if they supply easy access to food, water, and a way inside. You can remove the factors that attract rodents and make your property less conducive for them by using the following tips:
- Remove any branches that are touching your home.
- Install covers over the chimney and vents and fill in gaps around utility lines where they enter the house.
- Seal any gaps along the roofline, exterior walls, and foundations. Filling these holes with steel wool before sealing them will help to keep rodents from chewing through them again.
- Replace any damaged screens and make sure there are no gaps around window and door frames.
- Keep your home free of excess moisture by making certain areas like the basement, crawl space, garage, kitchen, and bathrooms have proper ventilation and dehumidifiers when necessary.
- Store open dry goods in airtight containers, keep produce in the refrigerator, and dispose of garbage in bins with tight-fitting lids.
- Remove bird feeders from your yard; even if they are in a high place, seeds can still fall to the ground, attracting rodents.
- Keep eating areas clear of food debris and deep clean under heavy appliances and inside cabinets regularly.
Why Professional Rodent Control Is A Great Solution For Your Home
While you may be able to implement prevention methods on your own, you will likely not be able to get rid of rodents in your home once they infiltrate due to their opportunistic and prolific nature. Instead of taking care of rodents on your own, a great solution is to contact us at Aries Pest Control. We can assist with the Texas rodents that threaten your home. With our complete inspection, customized control plan, and regular home pest control services, you can have a rodent-free home in no time.
Texas rodents are home-invading pests, but our experts at Aries Pest Control are unrivaled at getting rid of them. Contact us today to get started with the services and treatments you need.
Kevin is fantastic! He was quick to respond to our request, answered all our questions clearly and was prompt and efficient when he arrived. I feel at ease knowing we have a reliable pest control company we can trust!